[TriLUG] camera phone connectvity

Scott Lundgren s_l at mindspring.com
Mon Feb 16 01:43:01 EST 2004

>Indeed, on further investigation, it seems that something on the order of
>bluetooth is exactly what I need.  Much to my dismay though, Verizon does
not
>currently offer any camera phones with bluetooth.  What a shame!

Bluetooth is most often used for wireless sync/file transfer but there are
other methods. Depending on which phone you are looking at using you could
still use infrared(IR) or a proprietary cable that connects the phone to a
USB or serial connection to the linux box. You'll have to check with the
manufacturer and see what they offer for connectivity, and then look for
who's reverse-engineered what to become available for the software side of
the equation. A good starting point (though a bit dated for the rate new
phone models come out) for what's available:
http://tuxmobil.org/phones_linux.html

- SL