[TriLUG] Serial ATA

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Mon Feb 16 11:53:06 EST 2004

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004, Brian McCullough wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 16, 2004 at 11:30:12AM -0500, Joseph Tate wrote:
>
> > What you've got is a bios "drive letter" problem.  The new SATA card has
> > it's own bios that gets loaded I'm sure.  Within this bios you should be
> > able to specify some kind of boot order.  If not, you'll need to boot
> > with a rescue disk or similar to figure out what your new drive letters
> > are and change /etc/fstab and /etc/grub.conf and possibly
> > /boot/grub/device.map to use the displaced drives.
>

> I guess what's confusing me is that the kernel is coming from the
> "original" boot drive, but during the start-up sequence the order seems
> to change.

That's because your bootloader (grub or LILO) uses a different mechanism
to keep track of where the kernels are.  So the bootloader is finding the
kernel on the proper drive, but then when the kernel itself boots, it uses
the BIOS drive order.  Fix the "driver letter ordering" as the others have
said and it will work just fine.

> I'll see what I can do to chase some of these thoughts, though.

Yep, fix your BIOS(es) and it will work.  :-)

--Jeremy