[TriLUG] My slow linux machine

John Franklin franklin at elfie.org
Mon Feb 16 12:50:09 EST 2004

On Mon, Feb 16, 2004 at 10:30:10AM -0500, wayne at wh175.com wrote:
> I have heard a great deal about "pre-linking" problematic software, can anyone
> explain how this works, and if it would help in a situation like this?

Pre-linking, AIUI, pre-generates a map of where the shared libraries
should be loaded and the symbol resolution table that the loader would
normally create when the executable is run.  This shaves off some
startup time for the application, but doesn't affect the execution
speed.

It would help here, but I couldn't tell you how much.  I wouldn't expect
more than a second.  The time it takes to load it from the drive is a
large part of the startup time.

If he already has 30M (>10% of his memory) swapped out, then more memory
would likely help him more than pre-linking.  Making sure DMA is enabled
for his drive (inspect it with hdparm) would speed things up immensely.

jf
--
John Franklin
franklin at elfie.org