[TriLUG] LAN/WAN interface question

Ryan Leathers ryan.leathers at globalknowledge.com
Mon Feb 16 14:16:47 EST 2004

In my home network I went through 2 Linksys and 1 Netgear router in
about 18 months.  The more complex the filtering and forwarding the less
reliable these things seemed to be.  Maybe I just had bad luck.
Offloading some of the complexities to a linux firewall helped a lot,
but in the end my lack of patience was greater than my frugality.

I finally stepped up and purchased a business class router and its been
worth every penny.  Stateful inspection, VPN, IDS and DHCP have all been
rock solid as expected.  I still have a linux firewall behind the router
for "security in depth" but I rarely have to tinker with either now that
the router behaves consistently.

Three cheers for good hardware... and gratz to those of you who've had
better luck with consumer grade routers than I have.

--
Ryan Leathers <ryan.leathers at globalknowledge.com>
Global Knowledge