[TriLUG] Serial ATA

Brian McCullough bdmc at bdmcc-us.com
Tue Feb 17 09:30:36 EST 2004

On Mon, Feb 16, 2004 at 11:39:30AM -0500, elfick wrote:
> Often there is a main bios setting to the effect of "Boot offboard
> controllers first" or something like that. Check to make sure that is
> disabled.
> -Lee

I missed answering this one specifically, but unfortunately, there is
no such setting in my Award BIOS.

However, Ta-Daaaa!!!

As I mentioned last night / this morning, I was reading one of the
HowTos, and found a discussion of finding a PCI card and adding an
append line during the boot sequence.  I tried this technique, and,
finally, success.  The system booted and was able to see both the
unformatted Serial ATA drive that I was adding to the system, as well as
the old IDE drive that I added to that controller.  Since I specified
that they would be hde and hdg in my append line, that's where they are!

The boot drive is hda, and the CDROM, in the second master position, is
hdc.

Now I just have to get the new Gigabit network card, and the replacement
10/100 card recognized, and all will be well.  ( I discovered that I had
an old 3Com 10 Mbit card, rather than the 10/100 that I had assumed. )

One last small question to anybody who has worked with mixed systems --
I am getting a LOT of "sata_error = 0x0000000, watchdog = 0,
siimage_mmio_ide_dma_test_irq" messages during accesses to the IDE
attached to the SATA card.  I'm guessing that this can be corrected with
a call to hdparm, doing something with MMIO/PIO and DMA?

Thanks for all the help through this trying time.

B-)