[TriLUG] Trouble sending mail to RR addresses

Peter Long petelong at petelong.com
Tue Feb 17 19:26:36 EST 2004

I vaguely remember a heated discussion of this issue several months ago
however I cannot seem to find it in the mail archives. I would
appreciate a pointer to the relevant archived discussion of any help
anyone is able to offer.

I just tried sending mail to someone @nc.rr.com and it bounced with the
following error:

Feb 17 18:07:52 albert postfix/smtp[24719]: D17753B1B4:
to=<someone at nc.rr.com>, relay=ncmx03.mgw.rr.com[24.25.4.97], delay=1,
status=bounced (host ncmx03.mgw.rr.com[24.25.4.97] said: 550 5.7.1 Mail
Refused - 24.25.31 - See http://security.rr.com/mail_blocks.htm#security
- 20031206)

This is something relatively new since I distinctly remember not having
this problem the last time it was discussed on the list. Unfortunately I
cleaned out my Sent Items folder the other day can cannot tell when last
I successfully set to an nc.rr.com email.

According the the page supplied in the error message, this error
indicates one of the following:

1. The sending machine or network has a security problem associated with
it, which resulted in the sending of unsolicited bulk mail to our
subscribers or role accounts.
2. The sending machine or network is actively attacking our mail servers
(mailbomb, DoS attack, etc).
3. The sending machine or network is located within a dynamically
assigned IP address pool, and the ISP owning that pool has a stated "no
server" policy.
4. The sending machine or network is not in compliance with Road
Runner's posted Inbound Sending Policies

I assume I could fix 1,2 and 4. However if 3 is the case I would be
stuck. Correct?

I am pretty sure my postfix server is configured not to relay anything.
It should only accept mail destined for my domain or mail from my
private network. Here is the content of main.cf:

myorigin = $mydomain
mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, $mydomain,
mail.$mydomain, www.$mydomain, ftp.$mydomain
mynetworks = 192.168.0.0/24.0, 127.0.0.0/8

I suspect that I am being bounced because I am using a Dynamic IP
address. However, I am sure that there are others on this list running
there own mail server on RoadRunner with dynamic IP's. Is anyone else
having this problem?

--
Peter Long