[TriLUG] PoPToP VPN performance

Ryan Wheaton ryan.wheaton at comcast.net
Wed Feb 18 12:44:24 EST 2004

Hey guys.

I did some testing last night, comparing file transfer speeds using
different protocols, with and without the VPN.  I used the same 19.1 MB
file do do each transfer.  Here's what I found:

With the VPN:

UPLOADING 	|	to windows file share, took about 13 minutes.
			|	using scp (secure copy) to a linux server, took about 10 minutes

DOWNLOADING	|	Using a browser (HTTP), got about 180Kb/sec transfer
rate, took about 2 min 15 sec
				|	using wget (HTTP), got about 135.80Kb/sec transfer rate, took 2
min 50 sec
				|	from windows file share (SMB), took about 9 minutes
				|	using scp from a linux server, took 2 min 13 sec

With out VPN:

UPLOADING	|	using scp to a linux server, took about 10 minutes

DOWNLOADING	|	using wget (HTTP) got 171Kb/s, took about 2 min 30 sec
				|	using a browser (HTTP) got 171.9 Kb/s took 1 min 53 sec
				|	using scp took 1 min 55 sec

and they seem to be comparable.  My biggest problem, and the thing that
affects my users the most, is the sloooooow copy speed both up and down
copying to windows file shares.  Any suggestions on how I can track
down the bottleneck here or to improve performance?  I've got the WINS
server set in my options.pptpd file...  should I remove this?  Is there
any special routing that I can set up that will improve copy speeds?

thanks again for all the help before (and presently).

-rtw