[TriLUG] Re: Offshoring (was: Linux / Solaris Position)

Phillip Rhodes mindcrime at cpphacker.co.uk
Wed Feb 18 13:46:04 EST 2004

Mike M wrote:

> I think it would be unwise to wait for the return of the good-old days.
> I once thought I'd nestle into telephony until I retired.  Now I wonder
> what I'll be doing next year at this time.  I'm not as bored as I used
> to be.

Taking some welding or auto-mechanics classes seems like a good bet.
You pretty much have to be physically present to replace a fuel-injector
or weld a steel beam as part of a bridge or skyscraper.

No joke.. I'm at Wake Tech now working on a Computer Programming degree
and a High Performance Computing degree, and I'm not convinced that all
IT industry jobs in the U.S. will disappear completely... but don't
think I haven't given some serious thought to scheduling a few welding
classes while I'm out there.. I did two years of it in High School and
while it's not how I'd prefer to make my living, it's better than
unemployment.

Phil R.

--
When the 1st Amendment no longer protects your voice.
And when the 4th Amendment no longer protects your privacy or your stuff.

FREE AMERICA
Vote Libertarian
www.lp.org