[TriLUG] Linux / Solaris Position (OT Alert)

Magnus Hedemark chrish at trilug.org
Wed Feb 18 17:22:16 EST 2004

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004, Marty Ferguson wrote:

> This OT topic doesn't really belong on the Linux group, per se,
> but by the same token this conversation needs to be entertained
> on every list that serves computing professionals, which TriLUG
> does, although not by charter.

I think it's pretty well within the sort of discussion that has been
entertained in the past on this list, and probably needs to happen.  This
is at least as important as the emails that came out leading up to the
DMCA and other onerous legislation.

> First, many of these are not US corporations.

And many more of them are.  Disproportionately concentrated in the state
of Delaware, even.

Regardless of the global papertrail, ultimately the power is going to be
in a board room in the continental United States in most cases.

> Secondly, workers rights have been slowly eroding over the last 20 or
> so years.

The one that crept up on us during the .com era is the death of the 40
hour work week.  I actually got a reprimand for only working 42 hours one
week.  Can only put in a minimum of 45 and must average at least 50.
Every four people doing this is saving the company one head.  If the IRS
were to do anything useful, it would be to push for an end to stuff like
this so they could collect their precious tax dollars.

> Keep an eye on the various kinds of legislation before congress,
> such as to redefine "exempt" employees to include the shift-lead on the
> overnight cleaning crew at Wal-Mart.

Oh employers are completely taking advantage of exempt employees, no
doubt.  It's funny, one week where I was putting in 10-12 hour days every
day, I got a ration of crap for leaving after 7 hours and was told the one
hour would be docked from my vacation time.  I asked if I was an hourly
employee or was I still exempt?  I think that when they looked into the
ramifications of the answer to that question the issue got quietly dropped
and I was never docked for that hour.  If I'm going to be docked for time
missed, I'll be happy to get paid an hourly wage for the overtime.

> Not all conservative is Republican, and not all progressive is Democrat.

But they are almost all scum.  Why in the world would any good hearted
person go through the pain of getting elected?  And who could resist the
temptations that go with the power of elected office?