[TriLUG] Re: voip

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Thu Feb 19 11:18:00 EST 2004

On Thu, 2004-02-19 at 10:57, elfick wrote:
> Jon Carnes wrote:
>
> >With the addition of some hardware components, you can hook up ordinary
> >trunks (POTs lines) or T1's to the server.  You can also add hardware
> >that allows you to hook Analog telephones directly to the server - but
> >why bother when the cost of VoIP phones is so cheap these days.
> >
> What is the cheapest VoIP phone you would recommend?

Get a used Cicso IP phone.  I picked up a Cisco 7910 last week for
around $80.  You can get better ones with real LCD's for a few bucks
more, but then I use the webportal for most of my call/directory viewing
- so who needs a big LCD!

Also, there are several free implementations of virtual VoIP phones that
work with various operating systems, so your computer can play the role
of phone as well. You'll need a good sound card and a nice microphone.

Jon Carnes