[TriLUG] Re: voip

Kevin Otte nivex at nivex.net
Thu Feb 19 13:32:43 EST 2004

On Thu Feb 19 11:18:00 EST 2004, Jon Carnes wrote:

> Get a used Cicso IP phone.  I picked up a Cisco 7910 last week for around
> $80.  You can get better ones with real LCD's for a few bucks more, but
> then I use the webportal for most of my call/directory viewing
> - so who needs a big LCD!

> Also, there are several free implementations of virtual VoIP phones that
> work with various operating systems, so your computer can play the role of
> phone as well. You'll need a good sound card and a nice microphone.

You can get some inexpensive new gear at places like
http://www.sipphone.com/ and http://www.freeworlddialup.com/
These adapters/phones come pre-configured for their respective services, but
they could be easily reconfigured to use something you might put together.

I have only played with the software phones to date.  Perhaps if there were
enough interest LUG-wide, we could get a volume discount on some of these
devices.

--
Kevin Otte, N8VNR
nivex at nivex.net
http://www.nivex.net/

-=-

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
-- George Santayana

"It seems no one reads Santayana anymore."
-- Cdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5