[TriLUG] Help. Kenel Panic

Marty Ferguson marty at rtmx.net
Fri Feb 20 09:37:23 EST 2004

Nick

What grub told you and what it means.

=================================
Kernel (hd0,0)/vmlinuz root=/dev/hdc2
	[linux-bzimage, setup=0x1400, size-0x139a67]
initrd(hd0,0)/initrd
error 15: file not found
================================ Part 1 of 2
Grub is looking for your kernel, vmlinuz, on the 1st partition of
your 1st hard drive, which for us is /dev/hda1 and is probably
your /boot partition.

Grub thinks that your / filesystem is on /dev/hdc2
Grub is trying to load the initial ramdisk initrd from /boot,
in the same directory as your kernel vmlinuz.
Grub tells you it can't find initrd, which   it also expects
to find in /boot.
================================ Part 2 of 2
grub> Kernel (hd0,0)/vmlinuz root=/dev/hdc2
grub> boot

So then interactively you tell grub to go ahead and boot.
linux boots, but without file system support for the file system
where your initrd is located, it cannot boot.  Grub has claimed that
initrd is missing.  When you force linux to boot, and linux tries
to mount a filesystem for which support is contained in a module
(rather than compiled into the kernel), then linux can't continue.

THis begs the two questions
1) Why is initrd missing ??
2) Do you have root on a reiserfs on /dev/hdc2 ??

Hope this helps
Marty

Hope this helps,
Marty