[TriLUG] OT - outsourcing IT

Mike M linux-support at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 20 09:57:17 EST 2004

Sorry for flogging what some may consider a dead horse, but I just
couldn't resist pointing to a NYT article that nicely sums up the angst
felt by more than a few on this list.

<quote>
The knee-jerk advocates of unrestrained trade always insist that it will
result in new, more sophisticated and ever more highly paid employment
in the U.S. We can ship all these nasty jobs (like computer programming)
overseas so Americans can concentrate on the more important, more
creative tasks. That great day is always just over the horizon. And
those great jobs are never described in detail.

These advocates are sounding more and more like the hapless Mr. Micawber
in "David Copperfield," who could never be swayed from his good-natured
belief that something would "turn up."
</quote>

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/02/20/opinion/20HERB.html?th
(free subscription req'd)

--
Mike

Two hundred years ago, we note mischievously, the average American or
European had a standard of living not very much superior to that of the
average man in India or China. -- dailyreckoning.com