TriWUG - RE: [TriLUG] open wlan in the efland area

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Mon Feb 23 09:14:20 EST 2004

On Fri, 2004-02-20 at 22:43, Brian A. Henning wrote:
> Chip,
>   Are you asking what I think you're asking?  It almost sounds like you're
> asking if there are any unsecured WLANs your friend could leech off of..
> There's a term for that which escapes me at the moment..  Anyway, I am going
> to assume I am misinterpreting you and offer what little I know about public
> WLAN availability in general.

I think that the terminology "WLAN" is misleading in this instance,
because what Ralph (Chip?) is actually asking about is what ought to be
termed a WAN - Wide Area Network  (WWAN maybe?  heh).  But sometimes
technical language doesn't evolve in a sane way...

Anyway, there is a mailing list and web site created by TriLUG members
for discussion of these and other wireless technologies.  We are the
Triangle Wireless Users Group -- http://www.triwug.org/ and we invite
you to join our mailing list and add things to the wiki.  TriWUG is OS
agnostic and open to anyone.  We also have an IRC channel, #triwug on
irc.freenode.net .  Lose those cables and join on in!

--Jeremy