[TriLUG] shell discussion

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Mon Feb 23 14:48:39 EST 2004

Brian A. Henning wrote:

>I'd just like to add my vote for a "Shell Secrets: An Intimate Portrait of
>the Bourne-Again Shell" meeting topic.  I know I could benefit a lot from
>such a talk.
>
>Cheers,
>~Brian

I hesitate to say this, out of fear of starting a religious war
involving napalm...  But here goes...

I'd also love to see a session dealing with editors and the tricks they
pose.  I know that every time I do something in vim, if it wasn't done
with 1 key stroke it could probably have been more efficient.  Being an
efficiency nut, I love to find new tips and tricks that make me faster
in the program I find myself in 80% of the day.  Now of course, not
everyone uses the same editor (hence the fear of requiring asbestos).  I
suspect that at least some effort should need to be made to cover tips
and tricks for a range of editors.

Perhaps in attempting to fill an evening, both the editor and shell
topics would make for a good double topic?  I for one also think the
shell topic would be great, and I don't necessarily want to detract from
it, just tossing out another idea that I think may be of interest.

Aaron J.