[TriLUG] useful question time - Serial terminal and Linux

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Mon Feb 23 20:13:53 EST 2004

On Mon, 2004-02-23 at 19:59, Kevin Flanagan wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> 	I have a system that has only a serial console, I can attach to it with
> Windows and a terminal program just fine, so I know that my hardware is
> fine, but what I can't remember is how to attach an xterm, or for that
> matter a Virtual console, to a serial port /dev/ttyS0 (com1)

You have to run a terminal emulation program on Linux too, just like on
Windows.  The most common one nowadays seems to be "minicom" and should
come with your distribution.  Load it up (in an xterm or VC or wherever)
and press ^A Z to see a list of allowed keystrokes (including the option
to configure items such as baud rate, parity, and stop bits).  9600,N,1
is the standard for Sun machines, but others may use different
parameters.  Also figure out how to send a "break" character as that's
useful for some situations (like breaking into the PROM monitor on a
Sun).

You may need to run minicom as root, or set the permissions on
/dev/ttyS0 in appropriate manner so that your user can write to it.

--Jeremy

| Jeremy Portzer       jeremyp at pobox.com       trilug.org/~jeremy     |