[TriLUG] Stupid question time - Serial terminal and Linux

Mike M linux-support at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 23 23:02:17 EST 2004

On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 07:59:43PM -0500, Kevin Flanagan wrote:
> 	I have a system that has only a serial console, I can attach to it
> 	with
> Windows and a terminal program just fine, so I know that my hardware is
> fine, but what I can't remember is how to attach an xterm, or for that
> matter a Virtual console, to a serial port /dev/ttyS0 (com1)
>
> 	Once the system is up, I can ssh to it, but I'm planning on reloading
> the system, it'd be nice to see that happen ;')

If I understand you correctly, you have no VGA + keyboard console and
you only have a serial port. You want to reload the machine using the serial port?

I worked at using serial consoles pretty hard in 2002 and came away
disappointed.  You will not get all the information in a serial console
that you get with a vga/keyboard console unless you do some fixing and
tweeking.  You should google this because people have done this.

Here's something that looks bang on and it's recent too.
http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-HOWTO/Remote-Serial-Console-HOWTO.html

--
Mike

Two hundred years ago, we note mischievously, the average American or
European had a standard of living not very much superior to that of the
average man in India or China. -- dailyreckoning.com