[TriLUG] Stupid question time - Serial terminal and Linux

Mike M linux-support at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 24 08:45:22 EST 2004

On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 06:08:33AM -0500, Magnus wrote:

> On Monday, February 23, 2004, at 11:02  PM, Mike M wrote:
>
> >If I understand you correctly, you have no VGA + keyboard console and
> >you only have a serial port. You want to reload the machine using the
> >serial port?
>
> This is very very common if you're on non-PC hardware.  Most of my
> machines are sparc, hp-parisc and alpha.  The only monitor is hooked up
> to my PC which is running minicom and a big null modem cable that I
> move from machine to machine.

Was it a sparc or something that has a reasonable serial interface? If
so then life will be much easier.  It's the x86 archs that are
non-trivial for serial consoles.

--
Mike

Two hundred years ago, we note mischievously, the average American or
European had a standard of living not very much superior to that of the
average man in India or China. -- dailyreckoning.com