[TriLUG] XP and Samba

Tomm Lorenzin tomm at 1000plus.com
Tue Feb 24 11:42:39 EST 2004

Yes, on the username.  I, too, found XP to be quite persnickety
regarding username composition and case.  Just one of the many hurdles
overcome. But, as you have prolly discovered, it CAN be done regardless
of the "wizzdom" of M$ tech support arschlochs.

As for the quality of M$ tech support, I was a one of those for nearly
ten years (in Charlotte) starting in the very early nineties when we
actually knew what we were doing and helped customers with accurate and
timely information and procedures. Our customers loved us, way back
then, and the work was VERY satisfying.  We just LOVED being heroes.

I was there during the major bouts of outsourcing tech support first to
U.S. firms like Keene and Wang (where they appeared to "hire the
homeless"), and then offshore to non-english speakers that even we
couldn't understand while attempting to train them.  The deterioration
of M$ tech support by these manglement shenanigans - ostensibly to cut
costs - was extremely disheartening.  Getting painted undeservedly with
the broad brush of the self-engendered "M$ tech support sux" attitude of
customers in the later (and present) years, was my main reason for
leaving two years ago.  I was far from alone.  I am now, in my 56th
year, "self-unemployed," doing a bit of consulting now and then, but
VERY HAPPY to be no longer involved in "Dilbertiana."

I know this was WAY more than you bargained-for, but thanx for your
patience and understanding in tolerating my rant.

7;^)
Tomm "Aha!" Lorenzin
Mooresville (Lake Norman), NC
       An epiphany: