[TriLUG] Vector graphics tool for Linux?

Scott Chilcote scottchilcote at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 24 15:29:31 EST 2004

Steven Hilton wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone on the list has used the various vector
> graphics tools for Linux?

Hi Steven,

This is more of an aside, because it doesn't address all of your
interests.  But have you considered xfig?  This is a drawing & drafting
tool that comes with many distros including recent redhat releases.

It's been around for several years and is quite stable and feature rich,
for what it does.

> - EPS export?
Yes.

> - Stability?
Very good.

> - Missing features you wish you had?
It depends on what you want to do with it.  I'd like a larger library of
  "clip art", although it does include a modest assortment.  Hard to
beat for the price.

Most of what I think is missing, I find is there.  It's just present in
a different form.

> - Usability or intuitive interface?
The user interface is fairly unique, but can be adapted to in ten to
fifteen minutes of effort.  There's a guide to the mouse buttons on the
top line, plus built in help.

> - Glaring bugs?
I don't recall any.

> I have used Adobe's Illustrator quite a bit, but not one of the later
> versions (It's been a couple years.)
If you've adapted to Illustrator and/or the Gimp, you can certainly get
used to xfig.  It's not half as elaborate.  I'd place the learning curve
about 1/3 of the way between pico (easy) and blender (bring tranquilizers).

Apologies if you were looking for something with greater scope.

--
Scott C.