[TriLUG] Debian on Dell

Faheem Mitha faheem at email.unc.edu
Wed Feb 25 23:44:27 EST 2004

Dear People,

I just started a job at Duke. I've been told to put together a machine
quote for my office. I want to run Debian on it. I tried to persuade my
employer to use Monarch, but was told I have to use Dell.

I'm not sure of the best way to go about putting together a machine from
Dell which has good general Linux support as opposed to Red Hat support.

I've taken a look at Dell's Precision line of workstations, but it looks
less than ideal. For one things the descriptions are less than specific
about what hardware is included. I was hoping to somehow actually be able
to do a significant amount of customization without breaking the bank.

I'd greatly appreciate advice or suggestions on how to go about this
without driving myself insane. Thanks in advance.

                                                               Faheem.