debian on sparc - Re: [TriLUG] Stupid question time - Serial terminal and Linux

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Thu Feb 26 13:56:00 EST 2004

On Thu, 2004-02-26 at 09:22, Mike M wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 07:24:03AM -0500, Magnus Hedemark wrote:
> > Debian is said to work well on Sparc, but I've tried it a couple of times
> > and left wondering what all the excitement is about.
>
> It works. You're right, nothing exiting about that. :) Ben Collins on
> the debian-sparc list is very helpful too.

Keep in mind that Debian on sparc, at least the stable version, is still
running a Linux 2.2 kernel by default.  This means that certain goodies
you might be used to in 2.4, such as iptables, will not be available.

Aurora 1.0, based on Red Hat Linux 7.3, runs a 2.4 kernel just fine.
They have made a number of patches to get it working just right.  There
are probably some testing or unstable kernels in Debian that are on 2.4
now, but from what I've heard they still aren't as stable as the Aurora
kernel.

The folks who are porting Fedora Core 1 to sparc are wrestling with 2.6
issues right now (NPTL, O(1), etc -- these are 2.6 kernel features that
are in the Red Hat forked/patched "2.4" in FC1).  So pretty soon if
Debian doesn't make a move, they will be TWO stable kernel versions
behind on the sparc.

--Jeremy