[TriLUG] Wireless card recommendations?

Ken Mink kmtrilug at nc.rr.com
Thu Feb 26 15:31:37 EST 2004

Thanks everyone for their suggestions. I went to a few stores in the
area. The only WPC11 cards i could find were v4. I didn't get one, but I
did try to compile the driver under 2.6.3. No go there. I didn't put
much time into it, but the compile crapped out pretty nicely.

All I could find of the Belkin cards mentioned were v2101. I found some
info about the v2X cards having problems with Linux as well, so I didn't
get one of those either.

I dugout an old wired card and am living tethered while I do some
research. It seems a lot of the card vendors have been switching
chipsets. My old card was a Cisco Aironet 340. Good card. It was a
parting gift from my last dot bomb.

A piece of advise. Don't leave a wireless card poking out the side of
your laptop when you put the laptop into your bag. Sometimes the bag
gets hit and the card gets broke. Just an FYI from the voice of
experience.

Ken

On Thu, 2004-02-26 at 11:55, Frye, Matthew wrote:
> Sure it does.  I got the v4 card to work in Linux just dandy.  It just takes
> some time and thought.  I've got a doc on it including some urls here:
> http://mpfrye.mpfgroup.com/linux/rt8180.html
>
> MPF<SNIP>
> > TriLUG PGP Keyring         : http://trilug.org/~chrish/trilug.asc

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."--Benjamin Franklin
" 'Necessity' is the plea for every infringement of human liberty; it
is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."--William Pitt