[TriLUG] apple hw questions about beige mac

H Brett Bolen brettb at trilug.org
Fri Feb 27 13:39:41 EST 2004

I have some general questions about a beige mac.

This is my trilug tie in:

Ultimately I want to put debian on it. (I figure if I'm going
to lean left, I ought to go all the way!)

The machine is a beige mac, 333mghz G3. 256M ram, and I think
a 7 Gig disk.  I think it has ATI graphics on the mobo.

Here's a rundown of my questions, you can answer me offline
if you feel it is not relevant to trilug.

I want to upgrade it before I install linux on it.

   What kinds of drives does it take?
   What kinds of memory does it use?
   Can I put in a new video card?  It has a mac video connector,
      and I'm using a pc monitor with an adapter.  I think the
      adapter is preset to a fixed resolution/refresh_rate.  If
      I install linux, is there a text mode?  Will I loose
      the video, since it is preprogrammed for a fixed vert/horz
      refresh rate?
   USB?  will any card work here ( I have an intrex-special usb2.0)
      card.)  Do I need to look for drivers?  linux/mac support?
   Can I use wireless with it?  I'd prefer usb wireless.  Do these
      work?  linux & mac support?

an os10 question:

    Isn't there something like 'fink' that lets you use some
      open source software?  gcc?

b²

ps.  what is a bogomips rating for this setup?  Is there a problem
      with bootx and cpu cacheing on this box?

--
b²