[TriLUG] apple hw questions about beige mac

David R.Matusiak dave at matusiak.org
Fri Feb 27 17:20:52 EST 2004

On Friday, February 27, 2004, at 01:39  PM, H Brett Bolen wrote:

> I have some general questions about a beige mac.
> <snip>
> an os10 question:
>
>    Isn't there something like 'fink' that lets you use some
>      open source software?  gcc?

hey Brett --

in addition to fink, you can also pull gcc and other tools off the
Apple OS X Developer Tools cd that comes with most OS X distributions.

http://developer.apple.com/tools/macosxtools.html

In terms of buying memory and drives, I have been quite satisfied with
OWC Macsales.  http://www.macsales.com/

One thing you may need to look into is XPostFacto (also from OWC
Macsales).  Some of the G3 and older Macs cannot run OS X, so they
created this shareware app to help alleviate this problem.
http://eshop.macsales.com/OSXCenter/

Good luck with the Beige Mac!  If you wind up getting into the Mac
revolution, you can always check out:  http://hardcider.org/

dave m.

"And above all else, don't abuse or take for granted sources of help and
information.  Without them, you might find yourself lost or
inconvenienced."

- rfp                     http://www.wiretrip.net/rfp/txt/evolution.txt
May 2003
-