[TriLUG] Re: Time To Ditch RoadRunner?

Ben Pitzer uncleben at mindspring.com
Mon Mar 8 15:08:30 EST 2004

Just two links should tell you all you need to know:

http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/main_news.cfm?NewsID=8081

Basically, if you aren't regularly checking your PC for zombie, don't have a
firewall of some sort, be it hardware or software, on a PC, Mac, or *nix, or
run a mail server and don't regularly check for an open relay, you could be
part of the problem.  Spam and viruses kill bandwidth, and things are only
getting worse.  Some folks could be having some problems with signal levels
on their cable network, or some other potential plant issue, it's true, but
the vast majority of issues are with people who are unwittingly or
purposefully using massive amounts of bandwidth propagating spam and/or
viruses.  Get an anti-virus program.  Lock down your mail servers.  Get a
firewall software for your PCs (go here for more info on all of this:
http://www.nc.rr.com/security/)

Sorry I can't be more informative, but that's what I know at the moment.  I
can't give you the details on bandwidth usage, but those links above should
provide all the info you really need.

It ain't easy bein' in the ISP biz, so thank you Jon for at least asking for
an informed answer before folks start jumping to conclusions and flaming
away.  As I've said before, I'm happy to answer questions as far as I can
about our service, just so long as y'all don't use me for your personal tech
support contact.  Homey don't play 'dat.

Regards,
Ben Pitzer

"Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
 --Ben Franklin--