[TriLUG] OT - tech jobs on the rise in RTP?

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Wed Mar 10 13:19:53 EST 2004

On Wed, 2004-03-10 at 12:21, James Manning wrote:
> > So I say: Pull that money back from those fat cats and put it back into
> > play!
>
> fat cats don't have their money in play?  Here I thought they were
> investing it.  Heck, even if they just keep it in a checking account
> it gets invested, just by the bank instead of them directly.
>
> Maybe I'm missing something - is $100 spent on food at a grocery store
> more valid than $100 that got invested in the grocery store itself?

Investing a $100 in a grocery store is right on!  Much better than a fat
cat sitting on it in his wallet.

If that $100 is invested to help open a rural community grocery store,
it will have a huge impact on that community, and on the communities
ability to create more resources. If it is invested in a grocery chain
valued at Billions of dollars already then its probably a safe
investment, but that money isn't going to have as big an impact - still
it's money in motion and it helps create new resources.

> Is investment not a valid form of cash flow?  Maybe it's been too long
> since my econ 101.

RIF.

Keeping money in the bank is to investing as Aerial photos are to
flying. Money in the bank allows someone else to invest your money, and
it is only a tiny bit like having that money in motion (just like
looking at an Aerial photo is only a tiny bit like flying!).

Besides the object of putting the money in motion is not to make *you*
richer; it's to make your community richer, by enabling them to create
more resources. Your return on the investment is contingent on the
creation of more resources (more wealth).

As some folks pointed out, that community is now global... Unfortunately
for our local community, it is much easier to create resources outside
of America

Jon Carnes