[TriLUG] Shorewall and iptable_nat

Owen Berry trilugbucket at berrybunch.net
Thu Mar 11 22:15:31 EST 2004

> the question is, is shorewall working.  The best way to find out is to
> ask it.  "shorewall status" will give you a list of all rules in the
> tables, and current connections through the firewall.
>
> if that has the rules you are expecting, then yahoo!  if not, then
> apparently shorewall freaks out when NAT is loaded.
>
> HTH,
> CJK

It has a list of rules, but does it have all of them? I dunno. I do know
that I can't access any standard services on the box until I
specifically enable them. That would point to it working, but, as I
said, is everything working right. If I can't resolve this, I guess the
safest bet is to recompile the kernel with the NAT options set.

> One of the shorewall configuration files is called "modules" and it
> contains a list of modules to be loaded.  Your system will be no less
> secure, as adding the NAT module simply allows for a new set of tables to
> be setup in iptables PREROUTING,POSTROUTING, and OUTPUT, which occur
> before routing, after routing, and right before sending packets onto the
> wire (respectively).
>
> David

I commented out the relevant lines in this file and still got the errors
in my system log. Strange. I'll read up more about it tomorrow, but
thanks for the tip.