[TriLUG] mono

Mike M linux-support at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 12 10:17:39 EST 2004

I just read the /. piece on Mono.  It looks very interesting. It looks
like a good way to tame complexity.

For myself, my work environment is CLI and vi.  But as I consider
my next gen sound/video system I am open to something like Mono.  I was
hooked by the argument that developers using Mono are freed from
boilerplate issues and can devote more energy to application issues.

Is Mono fatally attractive fruit?
The things that really concern me are the IntProp issues.  I fear that
M$ is just waiting for Mono to get traction before dragging everyone
into court.

The article also casts doubts on IBM or Sun adopting Mono.  But then
there is the Novell/Ximian/IBM relationship and the connection between
Gnome and Mono is rooted in a central character Miguel de Icaza.

Anyone devoted thought to this topic willing to share thoughts and/or
links?
--
Mike

When the correction first comes, we tend to underreact. While we do not
like the surprise, we tend to think of it as maybe a one-time thing.
Things, we believe, will soon get back to normal. We do not scale back
our expectations sufficiently. It apparently takes years for this to
work itself out. - John Mauldin