[TriLUG] Debian AMD64 anyone?

Reginald Reed reginald at cisco.com
Thu Mar 18 17:03:24 EST 2004

z wrote:

>On Thursday 18 March 2004 03:23 pm, elfick wrote:
>

>>Reginald Reed wrote:
>>

>>>Thanks for the replies.  I saw the posts you mention on the mailing
>>>list.  This will be a good way to help me keep my technical edge in
>>>Linux, even though my Debian specific hacker prowess is what I consider
>>>limited.  Years of Redhat and Mandrake have softened me (which is why I
>>>started playing with Debian and *cringe* Gentoo last yr).
>>>
>>>--Reggie
>>>

>>cringe!?!?!???!!!! CRINGE?!! :-P
>>

>Yeah, I don't get that either, care to explain why you think that?

No offense to anyone, but I've had nothing but negative experiences with
Gentoo.  I admit that a lot of it has to do with my patience, but doing
any level of "build from source" to get the initial system up and
running is loaded with opportunities to screw up.  And this is coming
from a person that has been hacking Unix one way or another for 15+ yrs.

Anyway, thats just been my experience in the past.  Being the distro
junkie that I am, I'll likely revisit Gentoo again before the year is out.

--Reggie