[TriLUG] Red Hat Linux 9 on Cyrix?

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Fri Mar 19 13:57:14 EST 2004

On Fri, 2004-03-19 at 13:43, Rick DeNatale wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-03-19 at 12:01, Jeremy Portzer wrote:
>
> > This is odd... I'm wondering if you have some problem with your CD-ROM
> > drive.  I recommend trying a network install from the Internet using the
> > boot.iso method that Jason suggested.  (boot.iso is only a few megabytes
> > so hopefully your CD-ROM will be able to read that okay.)
>
> I've already tried a local network install, the cd rom drive wasn't
> involved at all. I downloaded the iso images, mounted them via loop back
> on this machine and tried an NFS install which still failed complaining
> about the install discs.

Hmm, but the MD5 sums on the ISO images checked out after the
downloads?  That's strange.  Also, with FC1 you don't need to loopback
mount the ISOs... the installer handles this for you.  You just setup an
NFS mount with the three ISO files in it.  I don't recall whether the
RHL 9 installer does this or not, but make sure you are following its
instructions carefully, and are giving the exact correct path as well.

> I'm trying to do an ftp install right now from the ibiblio server, but
> it's painfully slow. Is there a better local server to use?  I'm not an
> official trilug member since I haven't been able to attend a meeting
> yet.

The TriLUG servers aren't particularly fast for this anyway, but it's
usable.  I agree that iBiblio is painfully slow.  Fatest local mirror is
probably either the ones at Duke : http://redhat.dulug.duke.edu/ or NC
State : http://mirror.physics.ncsu.edu .  Another of the fastest
mirror's I've encountered is http://mirrors.usc.edu/ ... while not local
at all, it's worth a try.   Also, try ftp-linux.cc.gatech.edu .

> Why RH 9. Because that's what I've been running and I wanted to keep
> things in sync. I might look into Fedora Core, although some other folks
> (Ximian e.g.) don't seem to be supporting it since it's not a
> 'commercial' distro.

I can't comment much on Ximian, as I've never used its products directly
(only things like Evolution through other packaging).  However, another
commercial entity that supports Fedora well is NVIDIA for the binary
graphics card drivers.   So you're not really out in the cold.

Ximian may be less interested in "supporting" Fedora since it's now
owned by Novell, also owner of Suse.

> On the other hand as for being up to date, there still seem to be a lot
> of folks still running RH 7.

True.  Just make sure you have a reliable source of security updates
(perhaps fedoralegacy.org ).

--Jeremy