[TriLUG] Tabling at RARSfest and DurhamFest, interest in Amanda demo on tape loader ?

Mark W4CHL ppotfj603 at sneakemail.com
Fri Mar 19 17:57:22 EST 2004

Dear TriLUG,

I have seen a number of Trilug people at the RARSfest (coming up on 4April) and the Cary Hamfest (July) as well as the DurhamFest (May). For this year, is there anyone on the list interested in working up a demo of the backup/recovery tools from Amanda.org ?

I have a Seagate AIT-2 tape autoloader with a twin currently about to be installed for use at the Community Church of Chapel Hill (can send a PDF summary if interested).  I thought that perhaps a demo of a Linux server running Amanda back-end services with a Window$ and/or Linux client attached might be of interest to some of the attendees at the hamfests.

A simple tape drive on the backup server would suffice to demonstrate the idea, but I thought perhaps use of an Autoloader ("tape robot") in the demo might catch a bit more attention.  Heaven knows many hams run multiple PCs in their ham shacks, and I wonder how many of them have a well thought out backup/recovery strategy ?

If there is interest, please post and let's see if we can coordinate activities.

Cheers & 73 de Mark W4CHL

Mark R. Smith  Chapel Hill, NC
http://rtpnet.org/parc