[TriLUG] nat and dhcp problem?

uzoma nwosu uzoma at audioverse.com
Sat Mar 20 22:58:54 EST 2004

Jason Tower wrote:

>i don't see where you're handing out the default gateway or nameserver
>info to hosts on that subnet.  your clients ain't gonna get far on the
>net without that.

 From what I understand, I thought that you didn't need a gateway if you
are planning to let your ISP handle it.  And since eth0 is gets its dhcp
info from RoadRunner, I wouldn't be able to grab that info.  And
creating a DNS would just  be overkill for  a network of  two (maybe
three in the future when I add a windows box) machines, correct?

So I'm trying to do the following:

----------------
-----------------------                 ---------------------------------
| Laptop  | --------------------->    |Nat server   |  ---------->   |
ISP w/ gw  + dns|
-----------------
----------------------                   -------------------------------

To the let the isp do the rest....

>># The first network card - this entry was created during the Debian
>>installation
>>auto eth0
>>iface eth0 inet dhcp
>>
>>#Second network card - 3Com vortex
>>auto eth1
>>iface eth1 inet static
>>        address 192.168.0.1
>>        netmask 255.255.255.0
>>        network 192.168.0.0
>>        broadcast 192.168.0.255
>>

>i see that eth1 is 192.168.0.1, yet your dhcp range above starts at .1.
>that also ain;t gonna fly, it needs to start at .2 or higher.

I think I understand.  eth1 is listening on 192.168.0.1 and hands out
leases on the 8 possible ip's that grabs hold?

uzoma