[TriLUG] automated Audio processing in Linux

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Mon Mar 22 09:16:36 EST 2004

Good morning folks,

I'm looking for some sort of software that will do automatic/batch audio
processing.  Here's what I'm looking to do:  connected to the input of a
sound card is a scanner radio which is listening to certain
frequencies.  Radio traffic is erratic, so most of the time there is no
input (or a very low level of white noise perhaps).

What I'd like to do is run something that would monitor the input ...
when there is traffic, record that into a file, and then stop recording
when the transmission stops.  This needs to be totally automatic; the
files would then be compressed and put on a web site (I can do that part
easily enough with shell scripts).  I also would like to be able to
stream the same incoming audio to icecast at the same time, for
real-time listening.

What kind of software is out there for batch audio processing in Linux?

Thanks for any advice.  My experience with Linux and multimedia stuff is
a bit limited, so I hope I can get this working!  I'm planning on using
Alsa (either with 2.4 or 2.6) but could change that if necessary.

Regards,
Jeremy