[TriLUG] hotplug

paul paul at ninehrcoma.net
Tue Mar 23 09:55:15 EST 2004

Hi all, quick intro. I'm in Charlotte, NC, and new to the list as of
today. I frequent the Charlug meetings as much as possible and was
referred here by one of the local guys. Just finished my RHCE in
Raleigh, nice town you have there. 42nd Street Oyster bar, tasty.
Tourist bar or a place everyone hangs at?

I'm running Fedora Core 1, 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl, Thinkpad T40p. My daily
machine is a Debian Sid machine with which hotplug has "not" been an
issue when sleeping the laptop. Meaning, if I shut down hotplug via
"/etc/init.d/hotplug stop" before sleeping it, I can bring it up after
resume without issue. A work around I know, but I haven't gotten around
to adding a script for apm to call. However, in my Fedora install,
hotplug doesn't appear as a service in /etc/init.d/*, and the docs I
have read through point only to the individual scripts that hotplug
controls (pci, usb, etc..) and not a a "global service script". Am I
missing something here? /sbin/hotplug appears to be able to be used as
"/sbin/hotplug usb ARGUMENT" according to the manpage, but start, stop,
etc appear not to be options. Any insight would be welcome here as to
why there is no script in /etc/init.d, or how hotplug is intended to be
stopped and started with this type of installation.

Many thanks,

Paul Peeler