[TriLUG] automated Audio processing in Linux

Mark Wilson mrmoo1231 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 24 09:49:41 EST 2004

--- paul peeler <paul at enetx.net> wrote:

> Well, it is routine to have to change audio/mixer
> settings in a new
> Debian install, or at least it is for me. Audio is
> never quite right, so
> let me start by saying that the first thing I do is
> "cheat", and install
> sndconfig. It is ported over from RH in the Debian
> package tree. That
> should give you the correct entries in modules.conf
> if you are using OSS
> or ESD. I personally have grown to hate both and
> favor installing ALSA
> which is as easy as the other to install/configure.
> After the conf file is correct, I always have to
> change the permissions
> on /dev/mixer and other such relevant audio devices
> so that your user
> can access them. Make sure your devices are not
> linked to another device
> before changing them.
>
> Either way, I'm not exactly sure why you are able to
> still play mp3s and
> such without a little more info. I have had
> instances where I was able
> to play mp3s from the cl with mpg123 but unable to
> use an app that
> controls the mixer. PCM is a weird one.
>
> So, sort of a generic answer, but what I have come
> up with thus far. I'm
> no Linux audio expert by any stretch. Post more
> system details and I
> will try to be more help. What sound card are you
> using? What app are
> you using to play mp3s and such, and what is it
> configured to use (OSS,
> ESD, etc...).
>
> Paul

Well, I have a little more information now.  I've
found two mixer apps that I'm able to start, aumix-gtk
and nmixer.  With at least nmixer (didn't test
aumix-gtk yet) I can actually control the output
volume.

My soundcard is SoundBlaster PCI 128, and it uses
en1371, which seems to be fine as I can see it started
in dmesg, and of course I hear what I'm supposed to.

I *think* the permissions for /dev/mixer are
?rw-rw---- (I forget what the first position is
supposed to be -- c?  And I'm at work right now,
rather than at my box)

Oh, for running mp3's & wav's, I can still use either
mpg321 or mp3blaster or xmms, respectively (I don't
think I'm supposed to be able to use mp3blaster for
wav's)  No problems to report.

And I'm running a 2.4.16 kernel with OSS.  As I said
earlier, I haven't changed my kernel since I was
mostly running woody, but a lot of my pkgs. are now
from sarge.

I'll take a closer look in /var/cache/apt/archives to
see if anything got installed recently that looks like
it's related to sound processing.

Thanks!