VERPing and Personalization (was Re: [TriLUG] Iptables help)

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Wed Mar 24 13:47:59 EST 2004

On Wed, 2004-03-24 at 12:23, Tanner Lovelace wrote:

> I think I've got the bounce stuff fixed now, and I did turn on
> VERPing each individual message for a bit to see if that worked.
> It does, but it slows down delivery a bit since it can't batch
> send messages.  Also, someone (Magnus?) suggested on irc that
> VERPing the individual messages could mess up some black/white/gray
> listing setups.  I'm less concerned with that than I am about
> the possiblities for VERP to help us control bouncing accounts,
> but I wanted to discuss it here first.  So, at the moment, I've
> set mailman to VERP password reminders and confirmations but not
> individual messages.  List owners can turn that on if they want,
> though.

What Magnus was referring to is the ability with some list managers,
just as djb's EZLM, to set up VERP where every single message has a
different identifier.  So messages from trilug might have an envelope
sender of something like,
"trilug-message-34233-jeremyp=pobox.com at trilug.org" (made up syntax, but
you get the idea).  This causes problems with "graylist" spam detection
(called auto-whitelist in SpamAssassin) that might keep track of things
based on envelope sender.  It isn't a problem if the envelope sender is
the same thing for each message, which is how mailman does it.  So we
shouldn't need to worry if we enable VERP for normal postings in
mailman.

--Jeremy