[TriLUG] ntop is great!

Michael Hrivnak mhrivnak at triad.rr.com
Thu Mar 25 03:59:28 EST 2004

I know a number of people are using a linux box to do NAT in their home.  I do
so as well as running web, ftp, email, etc servers.

Tonight I began using ntop (http://www.ntop.org), and it's fantastic!  It can
tell me just about anything about anything that goes on in my network.  In
case anyone's interested in trying it, here's how I have it run:

ntop -d -P /home/ntop -u ntop -w 3000 -i eth1,eth2

eth1 is my wired LAN, eth2 is my wireless LAN.

To install I simply installed the mandrake rpm (contrib), created a user
"ntop", followed the instructions for a first-time run, and it worked!

It's also worth noting that I've blocked access to port 3000 from outside my
LAN, to prevent strangers from browsing the info on my LAN.

Simply sharing the joy in the hopes that someone might find this as useful as
I do.  Let me know if you have any suggestions or questions.

Michael