[TriLUG] LVM2 on a new gentoo system

Peter Long petelong at petelong.com
Thu Mar 25 21:00:03 EST 2004

Owen Berry wrote:
> Peter,
>
> I'm using LVM (not LVM2) on Gentoo and set everything up at install
> time. I fumbled my way through a combination of the standard
> installation instructions and an LVM installation guide for Gentoo
> (http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/lvm.xml).
>
> My /, /boot and swap partitions are not on LVM, to assist in recovery.
> This was really useful to me as I stuffed things up at least once during
> the install, but was able to recover and fix things using a LiveCD. I'm
> sure it'll be useful at some stage down the road as well. The author of
> the above document makes similar recommendations.
>
> Owen

Well, after following the advice I received on the list I finally have
gentoo booting and using LVM2. Thanks a lot!

However I have noticed something odd:

petelong at herb petelong $ mount
/dev/hde3 on / type ext3 (rw,noatime)
/dev/hde3 on / type ext2 (rw,noatime)
<snip>

My root partition which is ext3 is mounted twice. Once as ext3 and once
as ext2. According to my /etc/fstab entry it should be ext3:

/dev/hde3   /    ext3   noatime                 0 0

I suspect that it is mounted as ext2 by grub or the kernel at boot time.
    Does anyone know how to get rid of the extra mount of the root file
system?

--
Peter Long