[TriLUG] Recognizing SCSI autoloader with new Tekram SCSI card installed

John Beimler john at radiomind.com
Thu Mar 25 21:07:02 EST 2004

Mark W4CHL wrote:

>I have mtx installed, but note that a Seagate AIT autoloader (just one SCSI connection) isn't recognized as a SCSI device by RedHat 7.1.  This even though dual boot to Winder$/2k and the drive and card are recognized.

I'd suggest upgrading to a more modern linux, I used to use two Seagate
AIT autoloaders, 4 tapes, actually manufactured by Sony with Red Hat
Linux servers. They were atached to Adaptec SCSI cards though, and I was
using them with NetBackup.

Normally I've used the SCSI generic (sg) modules with my drive,
NetBackup or not.

Tekram cards appear to have hit or miss support, I know that SuSE had
added drivers to their kernel source. If you have the model of the card,
that may help if you google for "Linux Tekram <model>"

Other things to look for is to make sure the modules that would support
the card are loaded (lsmod), and to make sure the card sees the drive,
checking with the SCSI card's BIOS, if you can.

Peace.

john