[TriLUG] Re: Linux @ Wake-Tech

Phillip Rhodes mindcrime at cpphacker.co.uk
Fri Mar 26 15:22:48 EST 2004

Tanner Lovelace wrote:

> Oh, and Phil, one nitpick.  Just because someone has a Masters
> in a subject doesn't make them a good teacher.

Actually, we're in total agreement there.  I just didn't say
what I was really trying to say originally.  My point about Herb
having a Masters degree wasn't that it automatically makes
him a good teacher; rather I mean to say that having a Masters
degree in Computer Engineering validates that he doesn't lack
in general technical acumen.  That is, I meant to suggest that Herb
is *qualified* to teach advanced, highly technical
material... but may struggle to teach a Linux Security class only
because he doesn't have experience with that specific technology.

The issue of whether somebody is a "good teacher" or not, is
obviously a separate issue from their technical qualifications,
but see below for more of how I agree with you on that issue. :-)

> They can know
>> the material up and down and still not be a good teacher.  I'm
>> not suggesting this guy is a bad teacher, but I think it's independent
>> of what degree he has.

Absolutely. I've had a few teachers with Masters degrees and/or Phd's
who appeared to be absolutely BRILLIANT, but couln't *teach* their
way out of a paper sack.  I suppose you could generalize and say that
technical qualification is a necessary, but not sufficent, condition for
being a "good teacher".

TTYL,

Phil

--
When the 1st Amendment no longer protects your voice.
And when the 4th Amendment no longer protects your privacy or your stuff.

FREE AMERICA
Vote Libertarian
www.lp.org