[TriLUG] quasi-OT: Hardware Issue confirmation?

Mike Parkhurst myname17 at bellsouth.net
Sat Mar 27 09:40:49 EST 2004

If this were my box I'd bring it down to minimal configuration (like
someone else suggested), and then run memtest on one stick of memory at
a time.  If all the memory is bad, then the MB is probably the problem
(unless of course all the memory really is bad).

I have run into cases where each part tests good, but when everything is
put together it craps out.  This may be due to the 185W power supply.  I
have also had systems of this vintage where any two sticks of memory
work fine, but adding a third stick destabilizes the system even with a
large power supply.  I suspect the MB cannot provide enough power, but
don't know for sure.  Alternately, memory was expensive when this MB was
designed.  I have read MB manuals that said something to the effect of
"This system was designed to work with 128M memory sticks, however they
are not currently in production and therefor we could not test them with
our product".

Mike