[TriLUG] somewhat OT: mac hardware

Jason Tower jason at cerient.net
Mon Mar 29 21:09:15 EST 2004

in order to better support a couple of clients who run macs, i'd like to
get myself a mac that i can use to acquaint myself with OS9 and OSX.
doesn't need to be a speed demon, but i shouldn't be a slug either.
i'm well versed in x86 hardware but clueless about macs - i've done
enough homework to know that i want a G4 (not a G3) to support the
altivec stuff, beyond that i have no idea what i should be looking for.
i know that quite a few triluggers run macs, so if anyone can help
point me in the right direction i'd appreciate it.

also, a couple of related questions:

- do G4's take standard PC100/133 ram?  i seem to recall someone saying
that they require 5v rather than the more common 3.3v stuff, is this
true?

- do they typically have ps/2 kbd/mouse ports and vga video?  i want to
hook it up to my raritan ps/2 kvm switch, due to space constraints a
seperate kbd/mouse/monitor are not an option.

thanks all - jason