[TriLUG] somewhat OT: mac hardware

Mike Johnson mike at enoch.org
Mon Mar 29 22:49:43 EST 2004

Jason Tower [jason at cerient.net] wrote:
> in order to better support a couple of clients who run macs, i'd like to
> get myself a mac that i can use to acquaint myself with OS9 and OSX.
> doesn't need to be a speed demon, but i shouldn't be a slug either.
> i'm well versed in x86 hardware but clueless about macs - i've done
> enough homework to know that i want a G4 (not a G3) to support the
> altivec stuff, beyond that i have no idea what i should be looking for.
> i know that quite a few triluggers run macs, so if anyone can help
> point me in the right direction i'd appreciate it.

Since you're asking about hardware that will run Linux, we'll let this
one slip. ;)

> also, a couple of related questions:
>
> - do G4's take standard PC100/133 ram?  i seem to recall someone saying
> that they require 5v rather than the more common 3.3v stuff, is this
> true?

First point.  This is like asking 'do pentiums use SIMMs'?  G4 is a CPU.
There are several different packages it's been wrapped up in in the
past.  That said, you'll want at least a Quicksilver:
http://www.apple-history.com/noframes/body.php?page=gallery&model=g4_quick_2002

As you'll see on that page, they take PC133.  Nothing that special about
it.  Just make sure it's quality stuff, not crap.  Apple has somehow
managed to always be sensetive to crap memory.  Save yourself some
headaches.

> - do they typically have ps/2 kbd/mouse ports and vga video?  i want to
> hook it up to my raritan ps/2 kvm switch, due to space constraints a
> seperate kbd/mouse/monitor are not an option.

Bwahahahahahaha.  Oh, ahem, no.  Apple has never supported ps/2.  They
do, however, make extensive use of USB.  So, your switch isn't going to
be of any use.  It does have VGA out.  Apple's used VGA for a while, and
any G4 you find will use VGA.

If you want a laptop,  I'm loving my iBook G4.

Mike
--
"If life hands you lemons, YOU BLOW THOSE LEMONS TO BITS WITH
 YOUR LASER CANNONS!" -- Brak