[TriLUG] somewhat OT: mac hardware

paul peeler paul at enetx.net
Tue Mar 30 08:56:57 EST 2004

The earlier post about machines that support dual-booting is incorrect.
You can dual boot many of the G4 series machines, the first ones through
several of the earliest "Quicksilver models", all of the Blue and White
G3s, and as far back on the PowerBooks as the WallStreet G3 (with my
limited early morning brain-power I may revise this post). As I had to
support the mac OS at one point in my former environment for too long,
there are many multi-boot options out there that I have found to be easy
to deal with. Most dealing with the version of Open Firmware on the
machine and not really dealing much with peripheral accessibility.

Particularly, MOL (mac on Linux) where you run an install from a
different partition inside a rootless window inside of Linux. Made my
life much easier with Linux being the alpha dog on the machine. And it
supports OS9 and OS.

1- A used dual G4 450, dual G4 533, etc would be your best bet for speed
and cost. And, all of the machines in this era have VGA agp cards or
provided adapters. My triple boot config was Debian/OSX/OS9 for the
longest while I needed the mac OS. I also ran Yellow Dog for a bit with
good success (Red Hat for PPC). Check out Mac-On-Linux for more
comfortable options. Tis the only thing that got me through the hard
times ;) http://www.maconlinux.org/

2- With regard to your kvm switch. There is a belkin switch out there
that does usb and ps2. Maybe a better option, and less expensive than
losing the desk real estate or the cost of another monitor, etc.. Not to
mention, I use mostly IBM hardware now, and they hate all of my PS2 only
switches. And by hate I mean: "Do not work at all." The upgrade to USB
on the switch option saved me.

3- I frequently changed ram between machines, and I can second the
comment about buying the good stuff. Just buy the good stuff.

Paul