[TriLUG] RH9 tape device? Revisited

Dan trilug at daijin.nulluser.com
Tue Mar 30 11:28:14 EST 2004

--On Tuesday, March 30, 2004 11:19:27 AM -0500 "Byarlay, Wayne A."
<wab at purdue.edu> wrote:

> Oh, I'm sorry, no. here are the results of that...
>
> "SCSI 2 tape drive:
> File number=0, block number=0, partition=0.
> Tape block size 0 bytes. Density code 0x1b (DLT 35GB).
> Soft error count since last status=0
> General status bits on (41010000):
>  BOT ONLINE IM_REP_EN"
>
> Hmm. A bunch of 0's; maybe the tape is bad??
>
> I will use a tape that I know for certain is good... but seems like a
> bad tape would make some error light come on the unit...

You are at Begin Of Tape, so the rewind is really quick <grin>.  Try
specifying the non-rewind drive /dev/nst0.  If there is data on the tape
you can make the drive move with something like

export TAPE=/dev/nst0
mt fsf1
mt rewind
mt offline

I always set TAPE so I don't have to type so much.

--
Dan