[TriLUG] SCP acting funny

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Tue Mar 30 14:27:52 EST 2004

Unfortunately, I think you may have gone a step too far in abstracting
the data in your post.  Three questions:
1) what are the filenames you're attempting this with?  Have you tried
it with something like "test.txt" as opposed to perhaps something like
"A very korn-fusing f!le,name"?  It would help to be able to rule out
shell expansion from odd characters in the filename as the culprit.
2) What files exist, if any, in your .ssh directory?  Have you attempted
to setup public-key authentication between these hosts?  Do you have a
authorized_keys or authorized_keys2 file?
3) Is there anything particularly strange in your login scripts?  The
fact that you can ssh to the remote host successfully and don't mention
any other wierd login-related problems leads me to believe this isn't an
issue, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Tip: create some test files with a few lines of bogus data each, call
them "test1.txt" and "test2.txt".  Attempt to scp them from machine to
machine.  Post the precise output, obfuscating only the usernames and
hostnames if you must.  Do an "ls -la" before and after each attempted
scp.  Another thing to try would be remote single-command execution -
i.e. to do an ls of the remote host, do it in your session as "ssh
hismachine ls -la <filename>".  This has the added benefit of showing
you if your running into issues w/ shell expansion or space confusion
from funny file names.

Aaron S. Joyner