[TriLUG] RH9 tape device? Revisited

Byarlay, Wayne A. wab at purdue.edu
Thu Apr 1 11:11:39 EST 2004

Thanks all... I'm still experiencing a problem...

OK, well, I set export TAPE=/dev/nst0.

If I try:

#mt -f /dev/nst0 bsf 1

I get "/dev/nst0: Input/output error". Gah!

"mt retension" does nothing; the drive doesn't blink, and the prompt
returns promptly.

tar -cvf /dev/nst0 /etc worked ok, it appeared to write to the tape!
(The directory structure scrolled by, the tape drive blinked). Woe is
me!

It's like "MT" doesn't work right, but the device exists in the OS and I
can tar to it.

Any other suggestions..?