[TriLUG] rhel 3.0 es swap partition over 2.0 gb

Marty Ferguson marty at rtmx.net
Thu Apr 1 21:35:38 EST 2004

When Linus rewrote swapping for the {I think it was) 2.2 kernel release,
I imagine that he figured 2G was plenty.  Also, the limit is _per_ swap
partition,
which is limited to like 8 or 16 (I think I believe I recall I suppose)
I've never used more than 3 swap partitions simultaneously, all declared in
/etc/fstab.
So, assuming the limit on the number of partitions is 8, that still allows
for a total of 16G of swap space.

The increase to 2G was a big deal at the time, and there were
significant improvements other than just the increased size limit.
You are correct - It is indeed a 32bit address space limitation.

I'm sure you can google and get lots of interesting historic information
using the site: search option for Linux World and such.
This was all happening circa back in the day when Jim Ray was into Whorled
Peas.

Marty