[TriLUG] Power Supply for Apex KVM switch

Brian A. Henning lugmail at cheetah.dynip.com
Thu Apr 1 23:54:34 EST 2004

Hiho,
  DIN-5 plugs (the AT-keyboard style) are not difficult to come by.  Is
there any indication which pins of the socket are for which voltages?
Presumably the three positive voltages are on three of the pins, and one or
both of the remaining two are ground..  If you have an actual pinout for
that connector, it wouldn't be terribly difficult to either cannibalize an
old laptop power brick (back in the days when the laptop bricks put out
separate +5 and +12 voltages, if you can come up with one) or simply
construct a power supply from scratch (I'm sure I'm not the only trilugger
with electrical circuits experience).

The suggestion of parasitic power (aka. not needing the power
supply---drawing power from the computer's ports) I know is true for Belkin
brand devices, as I have one and have used others..  However, my instinct is
to suspect that since it requires the two separate potentials, it's not
going to be able to power itself from the computer's ports (only the RS-232
port, that I know of, even sports 12v potentials, and newer forms of that
standard operate at only 5 volts).  Worth a shot, though.

Good luck, and let me know if you would like some help with the scratchbuilt
power supply idea.

Cheers,
~Brian